April is Stress Management Month
3/30/2017 3:00:00 PM
We all have to deal with stress in our lives. There are many healthy ways to handle stress. Try some of the following techniques to see which one works best for you.
1. Recognize the things you can't change. Accepting that you can’t change certain things allows you to let go and not get upset.
2. If possible, avoid stressful situations.
3. Get in some exercise! Getting physical activity every day is one of the easiest and best ways to cope with stress. When you exercise, your brain releases chemicals that make you feel good.
4. Change your outlook. Try to develop a more positive attitude toward challenges.
5. Do something you enjoy. When stress has you down, do something you enjoy to help pick you up. It could be as simple as reading a good book, listening to music, watching a favorite movie, or having dinner with a friend.
6. Learn new ways to relax. You can do some stretches or take some deep breaths.
7. Connect with loved ones. Spending time with family and friends can help you feel better and relieve stress.
8. Get enough sleep. Getting a good night's sleep can help you think more clearly and have more energy. Aim for 7 to 9 hours each night.
9. Eat a healthy diet. Eating healthy foods helps fuel your body and mind.
10. Learn to say no! If your stress comes from taking on too much at home or work, learn to set limits.
If you can't manage stress on your own, you may want to talk with your health care provider. Or consider seeing a therapist or counselor, which is available through the Employee Assistance Program from Central Michigan Counseling Ser-vices at (989)772-5833. You can call Cigna EAP to receive phone counseling services at 1.888.371.1125. For more info on the Employee Assistance Program, please contact the Benefits Department at (989)775-5770.