Tribal School and Recreation Project
In May 2013 the Tribal Council hired Bonnie Ekdahl as a Consultant Project Coordinator for the school recreation project. Although this is not a new idea it marks another phase of planning and implementation which will bring the tribal community closer to a new facility to house existing youth services. The programs include the Saginaw Chippewa Academy, Anishinabe Language Revitalization, LEAD/Parks and Recreation Program.
Shortly after coming on board a working committee was established to plan out all aspects of the school/recreation facility. The following are some of the steps the committee has taken thus far;
Vision Statement 9/5/2013
Our vision is to lead, educate and prepare our youth and families toward healthy lifestyles with a safe and nurturing environment utilizing the spiritual, physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing or our Anishinabe teachings.
Working Committee List:
Purpose: To plan out all aspects of the school/recreation center facility including: operations plan, financial recommendations, and design and construction phases.
Education Department Representatives
Parks and Recreation Representatives
Language Revitalization Project
Kathy Hart TEAB member
Project Framework a 10 step process
In order to organize and manage a complicated process we created a 10 step outline. Each item represents many hours of planning and decision making and will offer a means to measure progress and maintain accountability to the tribal membership.
- Administrative Organization - maintaining routine office/management responsibilities
- Research and Information - continuous acquisition and review of pertinent topics related to the project
- Operational Planning - defining new work relationships and links between the departments who will be housed in the new facility. Scheduling software, shared spaces, funding, target audiences, central reporting system, etc.
- Community Input - will provide on-going updates and information via Tribal website, Tribal Observer and meetings.
At this point we will have created a Feasibility and Planning document which will serve as a foundational design resource for architect firms and planners. A qualifications based review of firms will be used to identify companies we will interview for the project. The company we hire will then be on board and involved with steps 5-10.
- Design Concept
- Schematic Drawings
- Construction Documents
- Construction of Facility
- Final Inspections
- Move in Facility and End of Project Review
As mentioned previously, this is not the first time a Tribal Council has initiated this project. In 2011 Tribal Council passed a motion designating the VanOrden property for Education/Parks and Recreation future development.Â The Planning Team reviewed site information and unanimously agreed to affirm and maintain the previously designated site.
- October 19, 2011 Tribal Council Motion. Designating VanOrden property for Education/Parks & Recreation future development
- July 11, 2013 Planning Team affirms and recommends maintaining site identified by Tribal Council.
Map of School Location
It is a privilege and honor to work on such an important project. I value your comments and ideas. Please direct comments to firstname.lastname@example.org